Here are some famous first lines from different books and movies. Students will write a story where one of the lines must appear, authentically, in the story. The line doesn’t have to be the first line, but it does have to appear.
- It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
- All this happened, more or less.
- I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
- It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
- When he was nearly thirteen, my brother, Jem, got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
- What’s your dream?
- All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
- Marley was dead, to begin with.