One of my favorite holiday stories is “The Gift of the Magi.” I so enjoy introducing my students to the story each holiday season.
Here is what I did with my students this year.
Journal Prompt as a Bell-Ringer
–What is a sacrifice?
–What is a sacrifice that someone has made for you?
–What is a sacrifice that you have made for someone else?
- “The Gift of the Magi” by O. Henry The Gift of the Magi by O Henry
- Read the story together. Audio Version: http://youtu.be/YR4ediL1G-o
- Parody of “The Gift of the Magi” Sesame Street http://youtu.be/o2VFgHGKzx4
- Questions to Answer Using the Story The Gift of the Magi Questions
- Work with a partner to write your own version of the story. You may start from scratch or write a parody using well-known characters.